Thursday, June 02, 2005

Are You Generic?

Because branding sucks.

Areyougeneric.org

So often people identify 'who' they are by the diet they maintain, the style they keep, and inevitably, the brands they consume. Along with the purported freedom of a capitalistic democratic/republic system comes the ubiquitous presence of corporations and the brands they sell.

Yesterday I acknowledged that I am not above this brand-fixation. Walking into the shoe-store, I found and bought a pair of Airwalks, vintage a-la 1980's. I felt cooler wearing them.

Areyougeneric.org at least gives you the flexibility to choose what you consume, and furthermore, what corporate franchises encroach into your neighborhood. I feel that at least acknowledging your role in the consumer machine is better than not knowing you are a part of it.

Sentient consumerism should be a first step towards independence from ever growing haphazard consumerism.

3 Comments:

At 2:23 PM, June 02, 2005, Blogger Peggy Archer said...

Cool Link!!

In the 90's, I dated an ad exec whom I sucessfully drove crazy by showing no brand loyalty at any time - I was broke, so I'd always buy what was the best value and it drove the motherfucker crazy.

Fight the good fight!

 
At 1:00 AM, June 03, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Barko, I really appreciate your words. I only wish more people out there got what you’re saying.

See, when I first started areyougeneric, everyone was like, “but aren’t you a hypocrite ‘cause you wear shoes that say New Balance across the side of 'em.” That’s true, but that’s exactly my point, even a conscientious consumer like myself can’t avoid falling victim to a brand or label on my body.

We are all part of the system, somewhere or somehow but let us at least put forth the effort to fight and become aware of the brands or labels we support.

Thanks again for helping spread the word. Since the launch of areyougeneric a few organizations have approached me with the idea of developing brand-free everything from shoes to underwear. We are a definite threat.

Cheers. Oh and if you don’t mind the link is actually dot org not dot com

--
Rony
areyougeneric.org

 
At 8:13 AM, June 03, 2005, Blogger Barko Hepplewhite said...

Thanks for the kind word Rony.

I'm living in Saipan, whose primary indrustry is the Garment Industry. While heads and shoulders above Asian Garment Industries (Saipan's are OSHA regulated [kind of] and pay quasi-american wages and health insurance), they still leave much to be desired.

Also, it is a bit disheartening to buy Polo shirts @ $30-50 per shirt when they're made for pennies just down the street from your house.

I welcome any collaboration you'd like to do in the future, and I'll continue to laud alternatives to uninformed consumerism. Also, I've already updated the link.

-Barko

 

Post a Comment

<< Home