Wednesday, June 01, 2005

Style and the Anonymous Oblivion



I bought new shoes.
Airwalks. And I'm still questioning whether the resurgence of Airwalks is fashionable, or an attempt to rekindle some sort of 80's nostalgia amongst 20 somethings. Who cares, their comfortable. But the greater point is that I bought them with a conscious desire to look good when traveling to Tokyo and New York. The question is why I would prefer to look stylish when I travel to cities where I will be lost within a tide of people? Where I live now, I see on average of 20-30 people whom I know personally, but I have little desire to 'dress to impress.' Going to these teeming metropolis', I want to look perfectly smashing, but for whom? Do people dress up in large city centers because they will be seen by thousands of strangers a day? Is that the basis for their decision in dress? Is advertising more effective among urban dwellers?

Nonetheless, I'm going forward towards my June 10th travel with an increasing number of brain cells concentrating on style. Style that I've loathed and written off as consumeristic doppelgangerism. Why should I look the part? What the hell is the part? I've been under no pressure to wear anything for the past two years, but now I've caught myself visiting GQ online and even :gasp: Maxim. Everything I've considered a concept of increased consumer education and awareness all washes down the drain in an attempt to look good.

And people wonder why advertisers use psychologists to create ad campaigns...

2 Comments:

At 6:43 PM, June 01, 2005, Blogger Andy Brandt said...

The reason is simple. You don't want to look "provincial" whatever that means. However, if you overdo that's how you're going to look.

 
At 10:16 AM, June 02, 2005, Blogger Barko Hepplewhite said...

True,

But because of internet proliferating urban/city culture, everyone is now dressing and even acting urban.

This is nothing new: emulating city culture has long been the goal of rural youth.

My situation is a bit inverse: I was born and grew up in New York City, but then detached myself from the area, culture and social politics. I've grown an aversion to trying to fit in with clothing, but now that I'm going back, I have an insatiable urge to fit back in.

I'm acknowledging my pull back into the mainstream, as I kick and scream the whole way...

I agree with your point, but even then I ask, why are we so concerned with what strangers think of us? Is it that critical to our sense of self-image?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home